Last week, I asked you to challenge yourself and pick something you want more of in your life, and do it once a day, for 30 days.

My challenge is yoga.

I also asked you to record your thoughts as you went through the journey. Here’s my diary from week one:

  • My first step was to find a yoga studio that offered lots of classes at different times. I chose Dharma Yoga Syracuse.
  • I started populating my electronic calendar for the next two weeks. I was excited and stressed at the same time.
  • During the first class I thought, “Why am I doing this? I’m struggling here!” I felt awkard, different, and inadequate. My joints were aching.
  • I asked a fellow classmate what type of mat to buy. He talked to be about the importance of quality. I took his advice and drove to Dick’s Sporting Goods and paid $75 for my first yoga mat.
  • You have to be humble to do yoga. It’s about accepting where you are, right here, right now.
  • After a few days, I woke up with a sore back. “Why am I doing this?” I decided to go to an early class. I’m so glad I did. My back felt a lot better when I was done.
  • The moves are strenuous and tiring. I’m taking one hour afternoon naps.
  • This was interesting. I’ve also decided to give up salt for 30 days.
  • My body is changing. I’m becoming more flexible.
  • The average class size is 10 students with 80% of those being women. I’m not sure why more men don’t enroll. This is one hell of a work out.
  • One day I attended a 7a class. I wasn’t looking forward to it. What a way to start the day. I performed my moves, watching the sun rise and shine on the Heid’s hot dog sign near Onondaga Lake.
  • I’m not napping any more. My body is getting stronger.
  • Sunday morning, I went to an 11a class and sweated profusely all over my Manduka mat. Drip, drip, splat, splat, splat from my forehead to the floor. This perspiration was a combination of the higher temperature in the room and the slices of Mario & Salva’s pizza I ate for dinner the night before.
  • As I exited the yoga studio, in a sweat drenched t-shirt and wet hair I yelled, “GTO!” A woman asked what that meant. “Glad that’s over!” I replied. The ladies burst out in laughter.

The biggest thing I’ve learned is that it’s never too late to change. Once you commit, everything falls into place.

How are you doing on your 30 Day Challenge?


Share This